Holiday Home Sales Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Thank you for considering Coastal Kippford for your holiday home.  Buying a holiday caravan or lodge from us might just be the best decision you ever made.  It can be your ‘happy place’, a bolthole to which to escape to take holidays in our beautiful part of the world.

If you are thinking of joining us, here are the answers to some of the questions you may already be asking – and others you might be glad we mentioned!

We are open all year.
Coastal Kippford is a non-residential holiday park which means caravans and lodges at our Park can only be used for holiday purposes. You cannot live in your holiday home; in other words, it can’t be your main residence. That is why we ask you about the address of your main residence when you purchase a holiday home from us and we will continue to do so while you own the holiday home.
There is no hard and fast rule because people’s individual circumstances vary so much. The point is that someone who is on holiday has their main residence elsewhere where they mainly live.
There is no limit to the number of holidays which can be taken in the caravan/lodge provided that it is not used as someone’s only or main place of residence.
Prices for a holiday caravan or lodge vary up and down the country and, like conventional properties, location is a key factor influencing the cost. The price will then also reflect the holiday caravan or lodge you choose.

All our holiday homes are advertised at a price which includes:

  • the caravan/lodge complete with carpets, furnishings, kitchen appliances and other basic equipment
  • transportation and siting costs (made ready for your occupation and connected to the utilities)
  • a lovely outside verandah or patio on which to relax.

We will give you our price in writing so there are no surprises.

Other costs to consider are:

  • Pitch Fees
  • Rates
  • Insurance
  • Annual Gas Check
  • Gas
  • Electricity

We will explain all these to you to ensure there are no surprises later.

Pitch Fees quoted are for the year 1 April to 31 March.  These are payable in full or by 12 monthly payments.

Rates quoted are for the year 1 April to 31 March.  These are calculated and invoiced around June each year, payable in full.

Electricity is metered at each holiday home and invoiced twice yearly (March and September), charged at the tariff approved by OFGEN.

Gas to caravans is supplied by 19kg bottles, paid for as used or invoiced monthly. Lodges are supplied by Calor tank for which there is a small quarterly charge, annual admin fee, and a charge per litre for the gas provided.

Our Holiday Home Insurance scheme provider is Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited.  We chose Gallagher because their specialist team has over 300 years of combined experience and are adept at developing comprehensive insurance packages at a suitable price.  Quotes are available from the park on request to which we add a servicing fee.

The insurance cover is for the year 1 July to 30 June.  Cover is “new for old”.  Details will be sent out prior to renewal, ie. before 1 July each year.  Policy limits and exclusions may apply, please see the policy wording for full terms and conditions.

Mr CR and Mrs GB Aston trading as Kippford Holiday Park (aka Coastal Kippford) is an appointed representative of Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.  Registered Office: Spectrum Building 7th Floor, 55 Blysthwood Street, Glasgow, G2 7AT.  Registered in Scotland. Company Number: SC108909.

It’s in your own interests to ensure that you sign a written contract (known as a ‘Licence Agreement’).  You should also consider our Park Rules, which apply to all our customers.

We will be happy to provide you with a copy of our Licence Agreement.  If you buy from us, we will meet you to explain the Agreement.  We want our customers to be happy that what we offer works for them.

Yes, provided they are looked after and kept on the lead when outside and toileted off the park (or droppings lifted).  They may not go near children’s play areas.  Cats are not encouraged (if brought they must stay inside the holiday home).  We value our red squirrels too much to allow cats to be outside.

Yes, please ask for a copy of our current rental policy.

On Park we have two children’s play areas, a laundrette and toilet/shower facilities for our touring customers.  Our main aim is to provide you with a beautiful and relaxing holiday base, not a “mini Butlins”.

There are numerous things to do in Kippford and the local area including beautiful coastal and forest walks, golf, cycling, fishing and sailing… to name just a few.

There is cycle hire close by and a fabulous range of cycle trails, from gentle family ones to ‘black’ hardrock trails.  Adjacent to the Park is a 9 hole golf course, and at the village, two fine pubs and the sea!  Our Woodland walks join up with the Forestry Commission, National Trust, and Solway Heritage to enhance your enjoyment of the local area.

Yes, we allow gas, charcoal and disposable BBQs on Park. Care must be taken not to place disposable BBQs on wooden decking.

No, as commuting to work or school from the Park would be taken as strongly indicating the holiday home is being used as someone’s main residence.

We understand people may get ill on holiday and should this happen you can access a local doctor as a temporary patient.  It should not be necessary for someone with a main residence elsewhere to register with the doctor for holiday periods unless they have particular health requirements

Being retired does not mean you are on holiday. The test is whether you have a main residence elsewhere.

Yes, but all the facts are relevant when deciding whether the overseas property or the caravan/lodge is your main residence.  These would include whether you own the overseas property or, if it is rented then how long you have rented it for, how much time you spend in the holiday home and how much in the overseas property.

No, as this would not be consistent with holiday use.  However, if someone wanted to keep in touch with their work or business whilst they are on holiday for example, they could use a laptop, tablet or smartphone.

As long as the holiday home is not being used as main place of residence and/or proof of address, occasional mail can be sent here.

No.  A holiday home cannot be used as a main residence therefore Council Tax does not apply.  Rates however are chargeable for holiday homes.  Paying Council Tax or receiving Housing Benefit would be taken as strongly indicating the holiday home is being used as a main residence.

Your Licence Agreement with us contains your undertaking to comply with the holiday rule.  If you broke that we would ask you to stop doing so.  If you were to fail to comply, we would be entitled to terminate the Licence Agreement and to ask you to remove the caravan/lodge.  The planning authority might also take action against you for breach of the holiday rule.

We no longer provide finance assistance because the cheapest loans are now from customer’s own banks.

Yes, as we have contacts with all the major holiday home manufacturers we are able to order a holiday home to your specification.

You can sell the holiday home on the Park with our agreement.  You may also move the holiday home off the Park.  If you sell on Park you must pay us the selling commission specified in the Licence Agreement.  We always use Glass’s Guide as a fair basis for providing a valuation before adding on the value of the pitch and verandah, so that our recommended price covers those extras.

Search Property For Sale

Coastal Kippford (aka Kippford Holiday Park)